Low Creatine Kinase (CK) 
Site Admin

Post Low Creatine Kinase (CK)
Anyone else get a low Creatine Kinase level on their routine blood tests? I looked it up and low CK level can be caused by "reduced physical activity caused by illness or advanced age or may result from reduced muscle mass accompanying muscle wasting or cachectic state".

Wondering if this may be a sign or early sign of CFS/FMS problems?

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:46 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Low Creatine Kinase (CK)
Just found this article posted by Suem. Not sure if it's related:

Quote:
Scientists Spot Chronic Pain 'On/Off' Switch

Nerve cell finding could lead to better pain relievers, they say

(HealthDay News) -- U.S. researchers say they've identified a protein in nerve cells that acts as a kind of gatekeeper for chronic pain.

This enzyme, called protein kinase G (PKG), is turned on and activated in response to injury or inflammation. Once activated, PKG triggers other processes that generate pain messages that are sent to the brain. As long as PKG is switched on, pain persists. Turning PKG off relieves pain.

"We're very optimistic that this discovery and our continued research will ultimately lead to a novel approach to pain relief for the millions suffering from chronic pain," researcher Richard Ambron, professor of cell biology at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City, said in a prepared statement.

The study was published online in the journal Neuroscience and was expected to be in the August print issue.

Ambron and his colleague Ying-Ju Sung, an assistant professor of cell biology, have applied for a patent for the pathway that turns on PKG, as well as several molecules that inhibit it. They hope to develop a new class of drugs that target PKG in order to treat chronic pain.

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:50 pm
FT Hall of Famer

From the Royal College of Pathologists Australia Manual

Quote:
Reference interval:

Influenced by gender and method; local laboratory reference intervals should be ascertained. Typically:

Neonate: 70-380 U/L
Adult female: 30-180 U/L
Adult male: 60-220 U/L.

Application:
A sensitive, but not specific, test for the diagnosis and monitoring of myocardial infarction. CKMB with CKMB/CK ratio is more specific, but has been superseded by cardiac troponin T or I.

Levels of CK are increased in diseases affecting skeletal muscle. It can be used to detect carrier status for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, although not all carriers have increased levels.

Interpretation:
Elevation of CK with CKMB as >5% percent of CK, indicates a myocardial origin of CK. CK levels may also be increased with skeletal muscle injury (eg, after intramuscular injection or excessive exercise), in myositis, myopathy, rhabdomyolysis or hypothyroidism.

Elevation of no pathological significance is seen in patients with a 'macro-CK' (a complex of CK with an immunoglobulin).

Isoenzyme studies may be useful in investigating increased CK activities of uncertain cause.

Reference:
French JK, White HD. Clinical implications of the new definition of myocardial infarction. Heart. 2004 Jan;90(1):99-106. Review.

Soul, was this a "once off" low CK or is it regularly low? Testing/lab methods may have made a difference.
This manual does not list any differiental diagnoses for low CK levels.

Last edited by shells on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:39 pm
FT Hall of Famer

Source: MedlinePlus

Quote:
Main Entry: protein kinase
Function: noun
: any of a class of allosteric enzymes that possess a catalytic subunit which transfers a phosphate from ATP to one or more amino acid residues (as serine, threonine, or tyrosine) in a protein's side chain resulting in a conformational change affecting protein function, that play a role in regulating intracellular processes, and that include many which are activated by the binding of a second messenger (as cyclic AMP)

Main Entry: creatine kinase
Function: noun
: any of three isoenzymes found especially in vertebrate skeletal and myocardial muscle and the brain that catalyze the transfer of a high-energy phosphate group from phosphocreatine to ADP with the formation of ATP and creatine and typically occur in elevated levels in the blood following injury to brain or muscle tissue

IMHO, they both transfer phosphate to ATP [engery production] however they appear to have different functions within the body. :shrug Protein kinase G blocks pain receptors, while creatine kinase shows elevated levels following muscle injury.

*24* See what "My Favourite Cool Websites" are. :roll: :roll:

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:40 am
FT First Lady

Don't know if its related, but whenever they check my kidneys, they always check my creatine levels.

So far my labs have been healthy and FM has not affected my numbers.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:04 am
Soul,

My CK has been low for quite awhile. It wasn't until the surgery I had last year, that I was told why. The doctor that found the Degenerative Arthritis in my spine believes this is why my ck is so low. However, he can't be certain because as i have known for some time most of my body chemicals are messed up due to the amount of trauma my body received while I was growing up.

Bonnie

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:51 pm
FT Favourite

This may help:-

Going back to basics, there are three types of creatine kinase or isoenzymes in the body: CK-BB is mainly produced by the brain and the smooth muscle; CK-MB is primarily produced by the heart muscle; and most of CK-MM is produced by the skeletal muscle.

In normal conditions, there is very little creatine kinase circulating in the blood of the average, healthy human being. Taking the creatine test is a good idea to find out where exactly it is that one stands when it comes to the prevalent level of creatine kinase in one’s body. The test specifically measures the blood levels of certain muscle and brain enzyme proteins; the normal results for females range between 10 - 79 units per liter (U/L) and 17 - 148 U/L in males. A lower than normally low level of creatine kinase shows that you have been drinking excessively; alcohol liver disease and rheumatoid arthritis are two of the most common possibilities that exist with respect to lowered levels of creatine kinase.

On the other hand, if the test reveals that the level of creatine kinase circulating in the blood is higher than it should be in normal conditions, then chances are that the human body in question has suffered damage either to the muscle or the brain. In fact, astronomical levels of creatine kinase are indicative of injuries, rhabdodomyolysis, myocardial infarction, myocarditis, myositis, malignant hypethermia, McLeod syndrome, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, and hypothyroidism. If most of this sounds like gibberish to you, just remember that a heart attack, a muscle disease or a stroke may result in abnormally raised creatine kinase levels in the blood. Statin medications used to decrease serum cholesterol levels may also be the culprit.

Experts suggest that anyone who is not sure whether or not they have had a heart attack (which is hard to imagine!) or whether muscles in their bodies have been damaged as a result of any sort of activity, should make it a point to go for a creatine kinase test. This group also includes those with chest pain, muscle pain, and any sort of muscle weakness. Emergency patients (or patients with acute renal failure) are routinely taken through this test, which actually only requires one’s blood sample drawn from a vein in the arm (not scary at all!)

Fatty *7* *7*

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:07 pm
FT First Lady

My CK levels were checked when doctors suspected Rheumatoid arthritis, I think people with RA are more likely to have lowered CK levels. I know people suffering from alcoholic liver disease also suffer lowered CK levels.

Barb - According to my neuro, general rule for CK levels is; low levels in muscle is good (higher CK levels in muscle indicate muscle injury) and higher CK levels in the bloodstream is bad.
Elevated CK levels can be seen in people suffering from hypothyroidism, myocarditis and MIs.
Elevated CK levels in the bloodstream can be the result of things such as heart attacks or brain damage.

Does that make sense or is it all nonsense? loll

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 pm